Holidays

I met H off the school bus. It was the last day before the Christmas break and H was beaming as he came into the house. He immediately set down his backpack and within his papers was a gift card, I asked where he got it. He explained that he got it from Mr. O and showed me the card. I said, H this is our holiday card to Mr. O and that is his gift card. He apparently didn’t find it strange that his card had pics of our family.

 

When H was in middle school I decided it was time to update the Santa narrative. My youngest already knew from a classmate who didn’t celebrate the holiday and telling H would also help him connect with typical kids his age. I found him in his room, at a time when we didn’t need to be anywhere and asked him if he had time to talk. I began the big reveal while emphasizing how he was hearing this because he was so grown up. He sat quietly until I was done, then said in a whisper tone “so when Santa comes down the chimney he needs to tiptoe so nobody hears him . . . “. I tried again explaining how middle school means honesty, trusting and accepting a grown up reality. I asked him again, do you understand what I’m telling you? He responds “yes, Mom.” I asked If he had any questions he wanted to discuss. He gets this big smile and says in a whisper tone “so when Santa comes down the chimney he needs to tiptoe so nobody hears him. . .  .”

 

After a year with Covid, social distancing and a major leg break the night before Christmas, H is overjoyed to be spending the holiday with family. He has always maintained is holiday enthusiasm for the simple things.  The year he enthusiastically told everyone about the can of tuna he received from his para. She insists that she bought him more than that but honestly he was thrilled. His excitement when he unwraps a new jar of pickles.  How digging into his stocking is more exciting than the largest gift under the tree. The way he asks every day who will be there for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

 

I hope the simple things in life bring you happiness and joy! And, you spend the holidays surrounded by those you love. Happy Holidays!

Comments

Popular Posts