The Bribe

 

We were never sure how much H was capable of but we knew it was likely he could do more than we gave him credit. He also can be quite charming when it is potentially advantageous and thought he would test that one day in high school.

I was at work when I received the first call. H loves school and is usually happy there but on this day H became agitated and soon afterwards I received a call from school. H called his paraprofessional a dumbass in front of his choir class. His case manager asked what I thought was an appropriate consequence for H’s disrespectful action. I asked for the consequence for typical students. He replied “they would get in-school suspension”. Knowing if they gave Hunter a warning before a consequence he would likely do it again, I said if they prefer he doesn't repeat this behavior, in-school suspension would be a suitable choice. 

It wasn’t long before my work day was interrupted by a second call from school. Two calls in such a short period of time was never a good sign, so I was a bit hesitant as I answered. His case manager said “I am sorry to bother you at work again but I had to call. This was my favorite teaching moment” Apparently, he went to the choir room to get H and explain his consequence for his disrespectful behavior. His case manager explained that as a consequence he would walk H to the room where he would serve in-school suspension for the remainder of the day which was only two remaining class periods but enough to drive the point home that he wasn’t going to get away with his behavior. As they walked, H reached into his pocket and retrieved two quarters. H showed him the coins and said “I will give you these two quarters if I don’t have to go to in-school suspension.” Needless to say, it didn’t help his cause and he served the rest of the day as a crabby teenager in the in-school suspension room. I told his case manager clearly that came from his father’s side. I would have suggested if he is going to risk bribery, that he offer more than fifty cents.

Comments

Popular Posts